- About Us
- Latest News
- Community Churches
|Holy Church of “Holy Trinity”|
The Holy Church of “Holy Trinity” at Footscray was the second church erected by the Greek Orthodox Community of Melbourne and Victoria (GOCMV), after The Holy Church of the “Annunciation of Our Lady”. The decision to erect the church was a result of numerous requests by Community members living in the area. The discussions in regard to the construction of the church began in mid-1959. During the course of discussion by the Board of Management in the months of June and July 1959 numerous recommendations were made for the purchase of an appropriate allotment of land.
Specifically, during the Board of Management meeting of 27th July 1959, the then President of the GOCMV, Mr. Vassilis Logothetis mentioned that the Board must carefully consider the purchase of land and the erection of a church at a central Footscray location. In accordance with the Board of Management minutes, a subcommittee of GOCMV members that resided within the suburb of Footscray was established for the purposes of locating the appropriate land, erecting the Holy Church and raising the required funds.
At the Board of Management meeting dated 17th August 1959, the General Secretary Efstathios Vlassopoulos referred to his discussions with the representative of the Footscray subcommittee, Mr. Antipas, during which he was reassured that if the GOCMV was to secure an appropriate property, the subcommittee would be “willing to conduct a fundraiser to raise the necessary funds for the construction of the Holy Church.” The minutes of the meeting also refer to the fact that the President of the GOCMV and the members of the Board of Management “recognise and agree that there is a need to erect a church in the area.” Furthermore, the cost and capital that would be required to erect a church were discussed and it was noted that “the Community would be able to contribute the amount of 6000 Pounds towards the construction of the new church; however these funds would not be sufficient.”
Text by Costas Markos and Steve Messinis