Dozens of Greek community leaders attended an urgent meeting called by the Greek Community of Melbourne to discuss the proposal to terminate Modern Greek Studies language program at La Trobe University.
The meeting was attended by representatives from a cross-section of Greek community groups in Melbourne, including the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, NUGAS, Pontian Genocide Committee, AHEPA, Pan-Macedonian Association of Melbourne and Victoria, Greek Australian Cultural League of Melbourne, FECCA, media groups and many more representatives as well as Kat Theophanous MP and newly-elected councillor Emily Dimitriadis.
The Modern Greek Studies Program of the LaTrobe University is the only programme of its type in Victoria. A Committee was established to meet with La Trobe University this Friday.
GCM President Bill Papastergiadis who chaired the meeting, said the Greek community must work in a co-ordinated approach to convince LaTrobe University's leadership to keep Greek Studies programme.
Bill Papastergiadis said: “The Greek language industry contributes many millions of dollars annually and that is a matter we must stress. It improves our state, Australia and in education affects 10,000 primary and secondary students which is a 20 million dollar exercise. If the university talks about numbers and what Greek studies offer to wider society, then it is a multi-million dollar exercise. It provides a lot of services in our society… It’s not something we need just to learn our language but plays a huge role in our society and community. There is nothing on a par with it. The programme has a fantastic outreach through its engagement with various groups in the community.”
Save Greek Studies at La Trobe Committee:
- Theodoros Markos [GCM]
- Spiros Papadopoulos [GCM]
- Stephie Nikoloudis [La Trobe Greek Studies]
- Tania Koumanelis [NUGAS]
- Peter Jasonides [Pan Mac | Business leader | Alunmi]
- Sotiris Hatzimanolis [Neos Kosmos]
- Fr Evmenios, Archiepiscopal Vicar [Greek Orthodox Archdiocese]
- Megan (Margarita) Smith: [La Trobe MG Students]
- Angelica Panopoulos : [La Trobe MG Students]
- Mike Zafiropoulos
- Dean Kalymniou
- Anna Hatzinikolaou
- Maria Herodotou [La Trobe Greek Studies]
- Maria Karidaki [Food for Thought]
- Anita Lada [Modern Greek teachers Association]
- Georgia Nikolaidou [Education Consul]
- Dimitri Michalopoulos [Greek Consul]
Supporting the committee are:
- Kat Theophanous [Vic Govt]
- Emily Dimitriades [Darebin Council]
- Ellenie Vasilopoulos [La Trobe Uni Greek Society]
- James Panas [La Trobe Uni Greek Society]
- Jorge Menidis [Greek Centre]